I started working out Eve's design. These are exploratory sketches to help refine the character's personality. More to come.
Finally, I could start creating thumbnails. This has definitely been the most challenging part of this project so far, but now that it's over, I must say it's also pretty rewarding. The goal here was figuring out the composition of each illustration. I was basically deciding on the angle of the illustration as well as which elements to include. When I wrote the story, I could imagine the way I would illustrate certain pages very clearly but for others it was pretty hazy. There are many pages like this in my sketchbook but I just took a picture of a couple to give you an idea.
I was about to start creating thumbnails for the different illustrations when I realized I needed to do some basic character design exploration. This approach allowed me to create a simple shorthand for the characters so I could focus on composition instead of design once I got to thumbnails. This story has three main characters: Eve, the little girl; Gascar, the monster who steals everyone's dreams and Felix, a lemur that helps Eve on her journey to Gascar's cave.
The first step was to get the story down on paper. I wrote it in French because I'm more comfortable with creative writing in my native language. As a result, "Eve and the Dream Thief" will also be available in French as "Ève et le voleur de rêves". I decided to write it out in blocs of a few sentences so I could get an idea of what I'd have on each page from the get go. I will still finesse the grammar and spelling as I move on to the next steps of this project (and I still need to translate everything to English) but the story is locked at this point so I can start creating thumbnails for each illustration.
Some time ago, an idea came to me. Eventually, this idea turned into a story; the story of a little girl, Eve, who goes on an adventure to confront Gascar, the monster who haunts her village by stealing everyone's dreams. I decided to write and illustrate this story and to present it to the world in the form of a children's book. Through this blog, I will share my progress on this project.